Skip to main content

I Had A Party in Hong Kong!






What are we celebrating? We are celebrating an "ending" of a long corporate career of 26 years of my boss. Friends of Paul (FOP) flew in from Singapore, Japan, Korea and China to give a boost to his morale in an uncertain corporate world.

I did not expect this "ending" and hence I was taken aback. It is really a time of reflection on the behavior of the new corporate universe. It has become a landmine where one cannot be sure one can get out unscathed by the spreadsheet management of numbers. There are no human beings involved in this exercise. I have heard of a laid off employee attempting suicide in Australia. There are many untold stories of what corporate excesses have done beside the highly publicised story of the collapse of Enron, a once proud Fortune 500 company.

On a personal front, I am glad to participate in a party of friends and human beings who want to encourage and help one another. There is no greater joy than friends taking the time to spend with one another. Is this a sign of old age? Is this a development of the life cycle process - that one's emotional quotient goes up while the intellectual one goes flat or down? Is it a sign of realizing that the winner of a corporate rat race is a just a rat, after all; unworthy of even reaching our dinner plate? There are many more questions with few answers. Attempting to find answers remains an intellectual exercise until the real thing strike you.

My time could be better spent in building friendship, giving back to the society, which has given me the opportunity to be what I am today. The most important people in my life - my family, deserve all my attention, which I may have neglected in between those business travels and dinners. It is not too late to start to spend precious time with them and with friends. This is the party spirit in every encounter.

As for my boss, the ending of one role is the beginning of another. He has since gone to the Philippines to relax and reflect on his next new beginning. It will not be in the corporate world. It is a pity, that this sector has lost one great talent, while the social responsibility world has gain one more member. There are many more going that direction to want to give back, instead of taking and destroying this fragile earth.

As for me, I am thankful for all these buddies in my life and thanks to the wonderful "HP Way" which binds us in the spirit of trust and respect. It made me realize how enlightened David and William Packard were when they formulated these universal principles, which they called, "The HP Way".

Yes, we are grateful to the company for giving us a career for this long. If the time comes to leave; we must be prepared to walk away thankful of all the people who became our friends and the places we have seen in our work instead of being resentful. The end of one is the beginning of another, as it has always been.

This was what happened in Hong Kong, where we shared our stories and drank to their past glories. That was why we flew in just to celebrate his new beginning. Thank you, Paul for your leadership and look forward to more fun and joy in the coming years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po