Skip to main content

What do you do on a Sunday?

I am tardy in writing about living this good life on earth. I have so many ideas, but not enough perseverance to put them down in words. My family and I had returned from Japan during the June school holidays, and I am using the Picasa web albums to narrate the experience. A picture speaks a thousand words, and that's the reason why I have invested into a better camera to bring out the lesson behind the image.

Today is Sunday, and my wife and I had our usual qigong at Lower Pierce Reservoir. It drizzled, and the master had to stop the exercise midway. We then went to Upper Pierce Reservoir after breakfast to enjoy the fresh air and calm atmosphere of this watery venue.




In the pictures, I want to bring out the many free and enjoyable things we can do, while avoiding consuming more of the earth's natural resources. In my mind, these activities calm the mind and strengthen our spiritual relationship with nature.

Take a walk with friends or family. It is a great way of bonding.



How about a group exercise in qigong? The Chinese believes that if the qi flow efficiently through the body, it improves our health.


How about meditating? Studies have shown that meditation does help to manage our stress, but calming the mind. Meditation is practised as part of the buddhist way of life. There are many good books written on this topic, which you could find in bookstores or articles from the internet.


Reading the Sunday Times overlooking the reservoir is one great way of lazing around yet filling our mind with questions about what is happening around us. Better still is to have your loved one around you for good bonding.


I am not sure about this game, but I noted that the Housing Board has build such facility as yet another form of exercise and community bonding. In this photograph, is a couple enjoying it just next to the Lower Pierce Reservoir.


Living a good life is about feeling the good earth beneath my feet, and breathing in the fresh air around me, and praying to the benevolent force of the universe above me. Ah, such is beauty of life. It is hardly about wasteful consumption that destroys the earth; pollutes the air and makes a mockery of the spiritual world. We have the choice. Choose wisely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po