Skip to main content

Photojournal for Chinese New Year - Part II

I have selected and uploaded pictures taken during the festive Chinese New Year which falls on Feb 14, which is also Valentine's day, and a Sunday. The CNY lasts for 15 days and will end on Feb 27. This year is year of the Tiger; and very auspicious for me, as this day was the birthday of my wife, who is born on Feb 14. I was told this comes once every 60 years! Anyway, the family had a great celebration at a hotel in Petaling Jaya, which used to be Asia Jaya, many years back. The location brought back good memories, as I spent quite a few years in this location.

With the planning as written in my last article, I have focused on using the appropriate lens (18-55mm and 40m f2.8 for close up shorts); while the 50-200mm was used for shots in the shopping malls and on my way to Bentong, which is just about 20 min away from Genting Highland.

In my picasa web album, http://picasaweb.google.com/ys.leong under the title "Moods and Foods" - I tried to depict the atmosphere of the festive season. With that writing, my shots were focused on the moods of people - usually jovial and many in portrait forms. On the food, I took the shots as per normal and did not try to do so creatively.

I wrote tag lines to demonstrate that "moods and foods" (even if grammatically, incorrect) of people eating and interacting over food and red packets (angpows, as in Cantonese). I think with thinking ahead of the action of taking photos, I was conditioned to concentrate on scenes that I wanted, instead of being imprompto.

The experiment is a success in my opinion, as thinking ahead on what those scenes will be like, and then determining which lens will be more used; ensured that I am well prepared for the photo. Unfortunately, the exchange of angpows still remains difficult as the exchange is done too quickly for me to get any good candid shots!

The CNY is not over yet; so I am adding more photos into my web album. The photo journalism is just a great experience for me this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po