Skip to main content

My Chinese New Year

The Chinese all over the world will celebrate the lunar new year on January 26, and it will last for fifteen (15) days! As a Chinese educated in English in the then Malaya, I have little clue on the significance of this festival.

I remember it as a time when as a young child, I got to wear new clothes and shoes. I got to eat chicken, drink Sinalco, Evergreen and F&N (Fraser & Neave). Today, both these seem so ordinary in a more developed country. Back then in the 60s, these two events were not so ordinary at all. It meant an awful lot to me, as this time was about the only time, I got these privileges. Of course, more important was getting the "ang pow" (red packet) containing money, after I greeted my elders with a "kong hei fatt choy" (in Cantonese), meaning "wish you will prosper". At that time, the normal rate was RM1.10, and I did not know why it needed that additional ten cents. To put into perspective, the cost of a bowl of "wantan" (shrimp paste) noodle was thirty (30) cents. Daily pocket money when going to school was twenty (20) cents.

Besides these goodies; there were a lot of biscuits, pastries and nuts to add onto the celebration mode. For me, as a child in a small town (Bentong, with only 3 short streets); going with cousins to my relative house to greet them for the "ang pows" was absolutely a must do to increase the piggy bank balance.

Those days, we had fire crackers, and the noise heightened the excitement and happiness. The Chinese New Year was after all a very important and special event for us.

Today, my world has changed very much. Urban development has made people more wealthy, and buying new clothes is a non-event. For the middle class and above, money is no longer a major issue. With good jobs and investment, they are able to have houses and cars. Many have maids to look after their children as well.

The Chinese New Year festival is no longer viewed with that awaited moment of glee. It has become just another event, like many others. In fact, these days, some will take it as a holiday to leave the country to go elsewhere. Still for most, it remains an opportunity to "balik kampung" (returning home) to spend time with the old folks and friends who have decided to stay back in the small towns than work in the city.

As for me, I will take the opportunity again to return to Subang Jaya and Bentong to spend time with my mother-in-law and mother respectively. I want to ensure my kid pays her respect to them, and honor their position as matriach of the family. It is also a time with my family and friends to catch up on life's happenings. It is expected to be a routine, but an opportunity to laugh together. It is simple, and I like it that way.

On Saturday, January 24, we will be leaving the house by 04:30 to beat the traffic jam at the Second Link at Tuas, Singapore, and will drive for about five hours to reach Subang Jaya. Yes, it will be a simple but a meaningful event for my family to learn to live a good life, respecting tradition as much as we could.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po