Skip to main content

Samsung Omnia i900 - ActiveSync and Productivity

Upgraded the firmware as I noted that the camera is taking very bad pictures. The auto mode on white balance does not produce the color tones. In fact, as I stated in my feedback to Samsung; that the pictures produced such whitish colors as if the people are 'dead'! This is unfortunate, as the output is worst than my previous Nokia N73.

After the firmware changed (PHONE/PDA: i900DXHJ1/DZHJ1), the pictures from the camera is a lot closer to the original color tones. This is the good news. The bad news is obviously that I have to reinstall all the files and external programs.

The ActiveSync initially would not work, and I went to Samsung at Vivocity (Singapore) to talk to the folks there. Finally got it working again, where I can synchronize with my Outlook, where all the phone database is. I cannot sync with the server, as the corporate server is highly secured.

The synchronization of the phone and Outlook (my work "portal") is the key to ensuring I have the critical data to work with. The next thing I did was to start making small pictures of my contacts from my photo library. I have to crop the photo, and compressed it to "email" mode so that it is small enough to add the picture to the contact name.

Once I had the photos, I transferred them via "Explore" command in ActiveSync into the Storage Card. As the card is 2G, it can take a lot of these small pictures which are just about 10kb each. It is important to use the Storage Card to place the files, so that if another firmare upgarde is done, you still have all the information inside the card.

The card also stores my "x.cab" files, which are programs which I could activate and installed into "My Storage". I took the opportunity to install some of these free programs. Transferring such files to the Storage Card is a breeze. It is just a drag and drop exercise.

The insight I wish to share is that the mobile phone is the most important productivity tool for me. It is an extension of the brain, and the difference is that the phone can retrieve data much more easier than the brain. The phone will "give" you a number much faster than the brain can, especially, if it is an unfamiliar one.

"Don't leave home without it" just like the tagline of the American Express credit card once used to boast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po