Skip to main content

Having fun and having time

My latest gadget is the Samsung Omnia i900, powered by Window Mobile 6.1 operating system. I have replaced my good old Nokia N73 which uses Symbian. The N73 has served me well for the last two years which is able to synchronize with my Outlook calendar, task and notes. It has the cool feature of Nokia Life Blog, which pulls down the messages, photos and videos into the PC. This feature I do miss in the Omnia.

The Omnia acts very much like the HP Jornada 560, which I gave away in the SgFreeCycle (in one of my previous articles); which attracted so many emails. It was a fully functional iPaq with charger, software, manuals and even an external keyboard!

The Omnia's feature which I like is the wi-fi feature, allowing me to log into the internet to synchronize my emails in Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo. With the number of hotspots in Singapore growing, it is becoming a very good feature, although the connecting time with logging in period is a great deterrent.

The 5MP camera is not as impressive, as I imagine. The photos taken are not the quality I expect, and I think the N73 gave me better pictures, even at 3.2MP. This is a disappointment. Perhaps I need more practice.

Using the phone is a big plus, as it is easy to find anyone in the phone book, by just pressing the keys with the alphabets and names with them will keep appearing, and all you do is to keep typing in the numbers, until that name appear. For example, if the name is Claudine, I will press 2,5,2,8 where the first 4 alphabets (C L A U) will certainly have Claudine appears. Then I press the "call" button, and it is done. This is a very powerful search feature of phone numbers.

There are several keyboard options in addition to the normal phone panel. So there is no lack of choice on how I want to input the characters.

The phone was purchased at Singtel Shop (online) at S$498 during an offer in late October 2008, as my contract is coming up for renewal. This offer was for a black Omnia with 16G of internal storage! Yes, 16G and it is similar to the Apple iPhone, with a 3.2" screen and touch keypad.

I am having fun and having more time, as it helps me to keep me productive with my time. I have been an early advocate of "time management" starting out with the famous "Day Timer" diary; which I still have today.

I proceeded on with the HP LX-200 palmtop, which was the first handheld computer running on DOS.

This gave way to my HP Jornada 720; which gave me color and a window environment.

I will continue to blog on the Omnia, as a productivity tool, and one must be objective as any tool depends on the user. Like the wise saying goes, "one man's meat is another man's poison." You have to decide on your tools that you feel most comfortable with. For some, a small paper notebook and a pen are all it takes. For me, it is giving me fun, and giving me back some time for myself, my family and my friends. It is simply a good life to live.


Omnia i900 website: http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/
Omnia i900 full review: http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=1089
Window Mobile 6.1: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/6-1/default.mspx
HP Jornada 720: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jornada

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po