Skip to main content

A New Camera and New Insight






As usual, decision making is a rational process to select the choices but it becomes an emotional process to make the choice. From my good old Canon G2 to my Lumix FX9 and not forgetting my even older analogue Canon AE-1 (had it in 1977 in France); I decided to go one step up on the DSLR (digital single lens reflex).

I was toying the idea of an entry level such as Nikon D40x, Canon 400D.... and then came the announcement of the Casio Exilim Pro EX-1, which does incredible movie; which only a camera devoted to scientific research could. It was to be launched in March 2008.

I was in Tokyo for my CoreNet (Real Estate program) in end February and decided to go to Akihabara to inquire whether it was out. For those who do not know; Akihabara is THE place for technology. Japan has a lot of products that are not exported out. So it is a sight to behold. However, even in Japan this camera was still not launched.

By chance, I came across this newly launched Fuji Finepix s100fs, which was launched in January 2008. I did a study on it and when you want to seriously buy a camera, you need to go to this website to take a look:


My emotion decided that instead of an entry DSLR, I bought this "bridged" which is in between a point and shoot and a DSLR. It has almost all the features of a DSLR, meaning that there is a lot to read up and experiment with the camera.

Some shots (unedited) are shown in this article. All the shots were taken at Kong Min San Temple in Singapore.

The camera is very different from a point and shoot. It takes a lot of playing with it and testing the shots to figure out how it works. I have been reading the manual, and also checking out the Fuji Talk in dpreview site where enthusiasts have shown many of their photos.
I have taken out the Photo Video magazines, and now these articles make a lot of sense to a DSLR type of camera. My daughter is now using my Canon G2 and my Fuji to experiment, and in photography, the teaching of science becomes a hands-on topic.
It is fun learning from plenty of lousy shots and retaking up a hobby that I have given up since coming back from France in the early 80s.
Yes, living a good life and bringing smiles to faces of people, including myself. It is an affordable and hands on hobby. This camera will be going to Japan (Hokkaido and Osaka) with the family soon in the June vacation. But before this, it will be going to Kuala Lumpur for a regional meeting. Ha....simple and a good life.
I have put pictures under "A Pictorial Journey..." under the "Links I Like"; which now links my blog to another Google software, Picasa. The great thing of linking is that it is also linked to another site, "Linked-In" which is used mostly by professional for networking. Ha.. the power of internet is up to the imagination and creativity of like people.
How about you? Have a great day ahead...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po