Skip to main content

Kuala Lumpur; familiar yet so different



Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia has been my home for a good part of my life. Coming back every now and then from Singapore either for meeting or visiting my family, I see familiar yet unfamiliar sights. Some of the buildings are still the same to me; but the vibrancy of people moving around Jalan Bukit Bintang and the Petronas Tower gives me this insight that Malaysia is indeed exciting and continues to carry its warm hospitality to everyone who comes here. It is seeing to believe that no matter how long I am away, I am still a part of this country in which I started my journey of life.


I took the opportunity to take some photographs of Petronas Tower, the highest building in the world, until dethroned by Taiwan 101. This grand and "steely" structure exudes a strange feeling of pride as a citizen of the country, even though it may have been branded as those mega projects that do not benefit the people. I am not so sure after experiencing the pictures that keep coming into my mind. I provided samples of this humongous structure from the ground floor up, showing the engineering feat of the bridge that pulls the two towers together, providing stability and also emergency evacuation. The silvery glint in the night makes this Petronas Twin Tower, a sight to behold, and an insight of creativity and engineering.

From the 41st floor, shooting downwards, I saw this colorful and artistic playground for children. Likely from the bottom, it is hard to appreciate the design, but the sight from above gives me a totally different perspective of what designer could come out with.
From another part of 41st floor, I noted that even a roof top below it could be turned into a piece of art. It demonstrates that what the mind could see, the hands can conceive. Circles, triangles, squares can form patterns that we could easily miss as banal.
Tonight at Petronas Tower, what I see through my camera lens can give me different perspectives. In life, what I see daily as routine could be changed into something totally out of the ordinary, if only I take the time to see through a different lens. Do I take the time to look at the situation from someone else's shoes? If I were deaf, would the picture be different without the distracting noises? If I were blind, would the feeling of touch provokes a different understanding of the same object? The object could be familiar; but it could be different, if only I let my mind be opened to new perspective.
Thank you, Petronas Tower for this provocation to think beyond the ordinary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po