Skip to main content

Are You Living A Good Life?




I changed the blog URL to "living-a-good-life" to feed my behaviors toward that goal in life. Indeed, during this Christmas festive season in Subang Jaya, all activities are contributing to this goal.



Christmas is a public holidays in both Malaysia and Singapore. That's already a good thing to have if you were an employee. My company shuts down during this season for the whole week to save cost and increase profitability. I am not going into this rationale for my private blog.



My family and I drove up from Singapore for a week's vacation back "home". For me, visiting the old folks as many times as I could is one important duty and it is a demonstration of a good life. My mum is now 85 and still running around healthily. This is a great life for her and us. We are blessed and thankful.



My mother in law isn't so healthy, but she is always a dear person, who tries her best to make life great for everyone in the family. That attitude makes life wonderful.



Look not for great events, but look for small actions, for there lies the diamond of living!



I met up with some ex-colleagues who are all successful in their own ways, and had a delicious lunch at "The Ming Room" at Bangsar Shopping Centre in Kuala Lumpur (http://www.orientalrestaurants.com.my/). But above all was the loud laughter ringing out in the room where the five of us were in. The sharing of experiences and relishing the past camaraderie make life truly worth living. Friendship is hard to cultivate, and the company provided a culture of bonding when we were working together.



Today, as I look at the same company, it has gone the way of "Wall Street" where profit is above employees and hence each is trying one's level best to outperform the next guy on the bench. That "alumni" spirit is over. While it lasted for us, we were very thankful for the vision of the founders who have since passed on. Sad, but I will not look back, but forward to "live this good life".



There are many more activities ahead for this festive season. The insight to all of us, is to find our own niche of "diamonds" and enjoy its preciousness and brightness they emit.



May this festive season find you, family and closed ones full of joy and laughter, no matter what.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po