Skip to main content

Investing and Investigating


I am a late comer to investing in the stock market. I am not a big risk taker when it comes to growing my cash. Especially now that I am near retirement age, to err on the site of caution is better than having sleepness nights on your potential losses in the unforgiving equity market.



In the decade that I was involved in managing my own fund, my investment in the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX) has been very positive. I have good return on investment. There is no necessity to reveal number.

What is a good return to me? I use the bank interest rate (fixed deposit) as the risk free return. The banks in the best of times have only given me 3.2% interest per annum. This is under the condition you deposit about $50k - $100k of cash. There are not that many people who have that kind of spare cash.

When I first started thinking about investing, I have to do the investigating! I have scan knowledge of it. I was a novice, and I was already in my forties! Yes, before that I had put money in the Malaysian stock exchange, but my knowledge of what was happening was shallow. This simple fact of investing is that you must investigate (or build your knowledge of investing). The fact is no one has better interest in your own money than yourself. Certainly not the fund managers, not the bank's relation manager nor even your spouse could better articulate your own investment objective.

Why is this book in my article? This is because I started my cautious investing based upon a simple first principle that the return should be better than the bank interest; better still the fixed deposit rate. My reading material then was the Business Times (Singapore). I selected a whole bunch of stocks and then put in my cash. The first few stocks were Ascendas REIT and ST Engineering. Their prices were then $0.82 and $1.96 per share respectively. Today, Ascendas REIT is trading at $2.70, while ST Engineering at $3.50. They have consistently returned me dividend greater than the 3% interest rate that the bank would pay.

At the same time, I used E*Trade to trade on the US stock exchange. Back then in Singapore, it was not possible to trade US stocks online. In the US market, my initial gain turned into a nightmare, when the technology bubble burst. My share price plunged more than 50% down from the time my purchase. I was not actively trading, as my second principle is to buy and hold for the long term. The price only started to recover recently after over ten years! However, it has not even reached its original price for which I paid for. This is a big learning lesson for me. While I understood technology better (as I work in a tech company), it does not mean I should put all my money in that sector.

This call for a third principle of diversification. I started to buy into blue chips, such as Johnson and Johnson (JNJ) and Merck (MRK). These are large cap companies that pay good dividends. The above book is a good reference, if you are trading US stocks and have similar outlook as I do. I have just bought into the Bank of America (BAC) and Pfizer (PFE). I like banks and good pharmaceutical companies. Of course, I have missed many opportunities, because I have not been "investigating" good companies as an investor should do.

My brother is a reminsier whose first love is civil engineering. He is my mentor, and he manages my fund in Malaysia. He has learned to read the market very well. I will be writing about his technique in later articles.

The simple fact is that to invest, you must investigate. You must read (sight) to understand (insight). There is no short cut. You can punt and gamble in the equity market. Be prepare to lose what you can afford, and keep the rest for the welfare of your family. There is nothing more important than happiness with your family. Happiness is not defined by money. Like a good friend said, money is just a "promissory note" - a promise of value. Unless you "realize" the value, such as buying the tickets on an airplane for your vacation, that money is nothing but a piece of paper. Invest for the long term benefit of your loved ones. Do not gamble away the opportunity to happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po