Skip to main content

Graduation and 31 Years On


June 16, 2007 (Saturday) was the TARC (Tunku Abdul Rahman College) reunion dinner. It is the meeting of old friends. The people in the photo are Chow Yee Fee, Tan Jor Lan, myself (standing). Mr and Mrs Lee Sin Meng, Tracy Tee and Alan Tan. We graduated in 1976. That calculates to be 31 years ago.
It is difficult to imagine the passing of time, while we build our careers and our families. In the blink of an eye, more than three decades have passed. The great news is that we remain as friends to bring back those memories that only we can appreciate. Many names were brought back to remind us of the good days.
What can such a reunion bring insight to our lives? One, friendship lives on, but we have to make an effort to meet up. This time, I took up the challenge to drive down from Singapore to Subang Jaya, with a stop in Melaka. Sin Meng was so kind to pick me up to take me to TARC which I have not been in all these years. Two, as age catches up, the things we deemed so important in my youth, are fading into the horizon, as time with family and friends takes on more significance. It is recognizing the concept of "impermenance" in the buddhist teaching or the life cycle as in science. The priorities in life start to change with this acceptance of "dust to dust". Three, there is still so much fun to have, when meeting together, and so much to talk about. There is no boredom, unless one chooses to have it. The meeting was so much fun, with the young ones who are currently in the School of Arts and Science, School of Business Studies and School of Technology, as well as the first batch of students of 1975. We are in the second batch!
Some of us are already planning to meet up in Singapore this month for a dog show, organized by the Singapore Police Force, whom one of our classmate will be running it. "May the force be with us," as in the movie, "Star Wars" to have more laughter and merry making. The 31 years is just a number. It is the attitude towards life that determines our barometer of happiness.
Let's move on....
Check out the new website: http://www.sasktar.com/ on the alumni.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Saddest Day

Today must have been the saddest day of my life. It is too difficult for me to express the pain of a father. It is nevertheless a learning moment and a moment to sit still and behold the passing of time. I leave this writing as a memory for me to return one day.

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr

The World is Flat - or is it?

Thomas Friedman wrote the book, "The World is Flat" and being a famous journalist and writer, he gets attention. He may get a few critiques, but mostly he gets praise. After all, would a book with more criticism than praise make money for the publisher? I think the world is round. I tell you why. What goes around comes around. The saying that "every dog has its days" is as true as when it was originated. The only issue is that we will not know when. Usually it is a very long time, and most of us will not be around to see it happened. Think about manufacturing. The industrial revolution started in England and factories were built. Now where is the manufacturing capital of the world? China. Before that, it was the United States of America with all the big factories after England. Then these were exported to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and so on. Now, many of them are going to China. Is that the end? If the world is flat, it will have an end point. There is no end po