Skip to main content

Samsung Omnia i900 - My Device Memory

The Omnia boasts of 8G and 16G of memory space, in addition to a storage card of 1G. With such huge memory available, you would have thought that you will never face lack of it in your mobile phone. Unfortunately, unless you are very conversant with IT (information technology), you will find messages in Omnia telling you that you have lack of critical memory and will not receive SMS etc.

The fact is that the resident memory in "My Device" is only about 100M for both storage and program. It is the storage that you need to watch out, as the "In Use" memory goes up very quickly to zero, making it impossible for you to receive SMS and even switch on your camera!

After searching the internet for awhile, I found that the quickest and easiest way to ensure your storage in "My Device" is enough to do your normal work, is to delete the files inside your cache, if you had been using the browser, "Opera". Go to Program/File Explorer/My Device/Application Data/Opera9/cache. Open the file, go to Menu/Edit/Select All/Menu/Delete. Your storage space will come back up to perhaps 20MB, depending on the way you use your phone.

The other thing is never to install any program into "My Device"; but instead do it to "My Storage" (8G/16G) or "Storage Card"(1G/2G). The latter two have more than enough space for most people.

If you are IT savvy, you can change the cache location from "My Device" to either "My Storage" or "Storage Card" by opening the Opera browser. At the address box, type in "opera:config" which leads to to the "Preference Editor". Scroll down all the way till you come to "User Pref"; click and go on looking for Cache Directory 4. In the box, you will see "\Application Data\Opera9\Cache. You can change the default. Do a search on "opera:config" and you will get help on how to change it.

A simple trick of clearing the cache will ensure you can enjoy the Omnia, without having a lack of memory that will certainly frustrates you, after having paid so much money for it, yet not enjoying its full potential.

More on my learning over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog that Integrates

As I experiment with blogspot which is part of iGoogle, I am beginning to feel its power to integrate. The article on Natural Cure, is posted directly from Google Docs (Beta) in which the original resides. This is the first time I attempted this action, and it works seamlessly. I can now easily write an article in word document, store it in Google Docs (Beta), and then publish it to my blog. If you go to the Links on the left and click on the "Pictorial Journey" you are immediately taken to Picasa, which is also part of iGoogle. In this photo storage, you are able to see what I have put in as public photos. You can also have private photos which are not shared. I have not tried video, as it takes time to edit for something that is worth sharing. Google has purchased YouTube for a few billion dollars, and this means you can integrate video as well. I am sure it can be linked to e-Bay which you buy and sell your stuffs and many more. I have to keep this experiment going to opti...

Thankful

Being thankful in any situation is a positive attitude. It brings peace to the mind and rest the heart. The result is a healthy body and a smiling face. Today go about and spread the story of being thankful

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr...