Skip to main content

A Timely Reminder for the New Year

One word kept ringing out from Ajahn Brahm's talk at the Singapore Buddhist Fellowship is gratitude. Indeed being grateful for every small things is the best medicine for peace and happiness. His talk was so well attended that the dharma hall was full and it has to be broadcasted to the other floors. Perhaps it demonstrates the spiritual hunger for answer to live within a globalized country where competition is so keenly felt by people.
The Christians have a hymn with the lyric, "count your blessing one by one" which amplifies this simple but oft forgotten lesson of being grateful for all that we have. Ajahn Brahm's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Brahm) reminder is apt and timely - be grateful.
His latest book, "Simply this Moment" is a collection of his talks where the basic principles of life are once again expounded. For those who are well read in Buddhism, they are easy to understand and that is the essense of any talk - to be understood. This book is published for free distribution, thanks to the generosity of many. You can hear more of his talk by checking out his monastery website in Perth (http://www.bswa.org.au/).
A very happy new year 2008 to all, and may we all be happy and at peace with ourselves, and be ever grateful for everything that we are blessed with. Sadhu sadhu sadhu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog that Integrates

As I experiment with blogspot which is part of iGoogle, I am beginning to feel its power to integrate. The article on Natural Cure, is posted directly from Google Docs (Beta) in which the original resides. This is the first time I attempted this action, and it works seamlessly. I can now easily write an article in word document, store it in Google Docs (Beta), and then publish it to my blog. If you go to the Links on the left and click on the "Pictorial Journey" you are immediately taken to Picasa, which is also part of iGoogle. In this photo storage, you are able to see what I have put in as public photos. You can also have private photos which are not shared. I have not tried video, as it takes time to edit for something that is worth sharing. Google has purchased YouTube for a few billion dollars, and this means you can integrate video as well. I am sure it can be linked to e-Bay which you buy and sell your stuffs and many more. I have to keep this experiment going to opti...

Thankful

Being thankful in any situation is a positive attitude. It brings peace to the mind and rest the heart. The result is a healthy body and a smiling face. Today go about and spread the story of being thankful

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr...