Skip to main content

Graphical Update of the Asian Crisis



The graphics showed the 10 years GDP growth and the stock market index of the countries in Asia Pacific.


Here is a GDP definition. Gross Domestic Product is the total market value of all final goods and services produced in a country in a given year, equal to total consumer, investment and government spending, plus the value of exports, minus the value of imports. Few countries will have double digits growth, save for China and some emerging countries. However, Singapore is an exception. The diagram nevertheless showed zig-zaggy change for most countries.


By contrast, the stock market indices grew by multiples in all the countries. Is there a correlation between GDP growth and stock market performance?


You will have to interpret it, and more likely, you will need additional data to make some sense out of it. The fact is that if you have invested in an index fund that tracks the index, you will be very comfortable with your gain. When I first was made aware of ETF (Exchange Traded Fund), the STI ETF was about S$20. That was back in 2004. Today, it is about S$35, tracking the STI index quite well. Will the STI index go to 5000 as some have predicted?


How about all the other indices in the region?


The idea of this writing is for you to think about your own personal investment in a very complicated globalized world. You can put your hard earned money in mutual funds, savings, insurance, equity or use a financial advisor or even use the service of private fund managers. The investment scenario is exciting and interesting because it is your money and eventually your lifestyle that will be impacted.


It is wise to be educated than to gamble without understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog that Integrates

As I experiment with blogspot which is part of iGoogle, I am beginning to feel its power to integrate. The article on Natural Cure, is posted directly from Google Docs (Beta) in which the original resides. This is the first time I attempted this action, and it works seamlessly. I can now easily write an article in word document, store it in Google Docs (Beta), and then publish it to my blog. If you go to the Links on the left and click on the "Pictorial Journey" you are immediately taken to Picasa, which is also part of iGoogle. In this photo storage, you are able to see what I have put in as public photos. You can also have private photos which are not shared. I have not tried video, as it takes time to edit for something that is worth sharing. Google has purchased YouTube for a few billion dollars, and this means you can integrate video as well. I am sure it can be linked to e-Bay which you buy and sell your stuffs and many more. I have to keep this experiment going to opti...

Thankful

Being thankful in any situation is a positive attitude. It brings peace to the mind and rest the heart. The result is a healthy body and a smiling face. Today go about and spread the story of being thankful

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr...