Skip to main content

Graduation and 31 Years On


June 16, 2007 (Saturday) was the TARC (Tunku Abdul Rahman College) reunion dinner. It is the meeting of old friends. The people in the photo are Chow Yee Fee, Tan Jor Lan, myself (standing). Mr and Mrs Lee Sin Meng, Tracy Tee and Alan Tan. We graduated in 1976. That calculates to be 31 years ago.
It is difficult to imagine the passing of time, while we build our careers and our families. In the blink of an eye, more than three decades have passed. The great news is that we remain as friends to bring back those memories that only we can appreciate. Many names were brought back to remind us of the good days.
What can such a reunion bring insight to our lives? One, friendship lives on, but we have to make an effort to meet up. This time, I took up the challenge to drive down from Singapore to Subang Jaya, with a stop in Melaka. Sin Meng was so kind to pick me up to take me to TARC which I have not been in all these years. Two, as age catches up, the things we deemed so important in my youth, are fading into the horizon, as time with family and friends takes on more significance. It is recognizing the concept of "impermenance" in the buddhist teaching or the life cycle as in science. The priorities in life start to change with this acceptance of "dust to dust". Three, there is still so much fun to have, when meeting together, and so much to talk about. There is no boredom, unless one chooses to have it. The meeting was so much fun, with the young ones who are currently in the School of Arts and Science, School of Business Studies and School of Technology, as well as the first batch of students of 1975. We are in the second batch!
Some of us are already planning to meet up in Singapore this month for a dog show, organized by the Singapore Police Force, whom one of our classmate will be running it. "May the force be with us," as in the movie, "Star Wars" to have more laughter and merry making. The 31 years is just a number. It is the attitude towards life that determines our barometer of happiness.
Let's move on....
Check out the new website: http://www.sasktar.com/ on the alumni.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog that Integrates

As I experiment with blogspot which is part of iGoogle, I am beginning to feel its power to integrate. The article on Natural Cure, is posted directly from Google Docs (Beta) in which the original resides. This is the first time I attempted this action, and it works seamlessly. I can now easily write an article in word document, store it in Google Docs (Beta), and then publish it to my blog. If you go to the Links on the left and click on the "Pictorial Journey" you are immediately taken to Picasa, which is also part of iGoogle. In this photo storage, you are able to see what I have put in as public photos. You can also have private photos which are not shared. I have not tried video, as it takes time to edit for something that is worth sharing. Google has purchased YouTube for a few billion dollars, and this means you can integrate video as well. I am sure it can be linked to e-Bay which you buy and sell your stuffs and many more. I have to keep this experiment going to opti...

Thankful

Being thankful in any situation is a positive attitude. It brings peace to the mind and rest the heart. The result is a healthy body and a smiling face. Today go about and spread the story of being thankful

Keeping Fit and Sleeping Good

A couple of HP alumni mentioned about folding bikes, exercise, and alumni meet up to me. It did not take me long to decide that the idea was good and aligned to my life goals. I did some research on folding bikes and to my surprise; this is an exploding industry, as more people become more environmentally friendly. It was reported that the OCBC Cycle 2101 (March) in Singapore this year drew 9500 versus 5000 cyclists last year. The Taipei Cycle exhibition is one where bike enthusiasts will be happy to attend. The magazine, Spin Asia is a must read to have a better appreciation of this industry (http://www.motorculture.com.sg/page27.html). I decided to purchase the Birdy Touring (http://www.birdy.com.au/) which has 24 gears (3 x 8) to allow me to have more flexibility to build up my stamina. I like the idea of the monocoque frame and the discounted pricing by DigiNexx helps to come to the decision. Since April 9, I have been using the Upper Thomson, Venus and Old Upper Thomson Road. I tr...